페이지

2015년 4월 16일 목요일

세월호 희생자가 남긴 안쓰러운 빈 침대: The Cherished Empty Bedrooms of the Sewol Ferry Victims

Tomorrow will mark the one-year anniversary of the sinking of the ferry Sewol off the coast of South Korea, and the loss of more than 300 people, including 250 students. Some of the families of those students have kept their children’s bedrooms intact to remember and honor their loved ones. The Reuters photographer Kim Hong-Ji visited with a number of these families, photographed their children's empty rooms and belongings, and listened as they spoke of their love for their missing sons and daughters, and their frustration with the way the disaster and its aftermath unfolded.
  • Jung Bu-ja (right) and Shin Chang-sik, the parents of Shin Ho-sung, a high-school student who died in the Sewol ferry disaster, pose for a photograph in their son's room in Ansan on April 9, 2015. Jung said: "I was protesting, asking for an inquiry to find out the real reason why the ferry capsized. Some foreign tourists took photos of me. At that moment, I felt I was an alien, although I live in this country. All I wanted to know was the reason why the crewmen were all rescued but our children had to die." 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A school uniform that belonged to Shin Ho-sung, a high-school student who died in the Sewol ferry disaster, in his room in Ansan on April 9, 2015. His dream was to be a Korean-language teacher. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A guitar that belonged to Shin Ho-sung sits his room on April 9, 2015. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Huh Heung-hwan (right) and Park Eun-mi, the parents of Huh Da-yoon, a high-school student who died in the Sewol ferry disaster, in their daughter's room in Ansan on April 8, 2015. Park said: "I haven’t thought about anything but finding my daughter. I will never give up until I find her. For a year, every day was like that day, April 16, 2014. The times I laughed about trivial things have became precious moments. I thought living an ordinary life was the easiest thing, but I've realized it is the hardest thing." 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Belongings lie in a box in the bedroom of Huh Da-yoon on April 8, 2015. Her dream was to work as a kindergarten teacher. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A pet dog that belonged to Huh Da-yoon stands on a bed in her room on April 8, 2015. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Ahn Myeong-mi, the mother of Moon Ji-sung, a high-school student who died in the ferry disaster, in her daughter's room in Ansan on April 7, 2015. Ahn said: "My perspective on my country has changed. I thought my country was good. I prayed for it. However, after the disaster, I couldn’t pray for a while." 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Clothes and other belongings in a room belonging to Moon Ji-sung on April 7, 2015. Her dream was to be a flight attendant. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A picture of Moon Ji-sung hangs in her room in Ansan on April 7, 2015. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Lee Hye-kyung, the mother of Jeon Hyeon-tak, a high-school student who died in the ferry disaster, in her son's room in Ansan on April 8, 2015. Lee said: "Hyeon-tak's body was discovered on May 1. How could I say even a word in front of such a deep sorrow. I don’t have any passion for my life. I raised him with all my heart. Hyeon-tak, thank you for the life you spent with me." 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A globe sits on a desk in a room belonging to Jeon Hyeon-tak on April 8, 2015. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Baby shoes that once belonged to Jeon Hyeon-tak, in his room in Ansan on April 8, 2015. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Eom Ji-yeong, the mother of Park Ye-ji, a high-school student who died in the ferry disaster, in her daughter's room in Ansan on April 8, 2015. Eom said: "Every relic of our children is still there. I’d like to find them ... I’d also like to know the truth and the reason why they were not ordered to escape the ferry." 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A stuffed toy sits in the bedroom of Park Ye-ji on April 8, 2015. Her dream was to become a computer programmer. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Eom Ji-yeong, the mother of Park Ye-ji, holds a picture showing her daughter (4th from left, top row) with her schoolmates when she was 15, in her daughter's room on April 8, 2015. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Kim Youn-sil, the mother of Jeong Cha-woong, a high-school student who died in the ferry disaster, in her son's room in Ansan on April 8, 2015. Kim said: "I feel so sorry for Cha-woong and miss him so much. Those children who stayed calm in the ferry at the last moment and worried for us were better than us. I don’t have confidence in my country any more. I want to move abroad, if my oldest child feels okay with it." 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A Rubik's cube belonging to Jeong Cha-woong sits on a shelf in his room in Ansan on April 8, 2015. His dream was to be a Haedong kendo master. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A certificate belonging to Jeong Cha-woong, in his room in Ansan, on April 8, 2015. He received the certificate from the Haedong Kendo association after he died in the disaster. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Jung Hye-suk, the mother of Park Sung-ho, a high-school student who died in the ferry disaster, in her son's room in Ansan on April 7, 2015. Jung said: "Good children have died because of adults’ faults. The Sewol disaster taught us about the problems of our society, and adults should make efforts to fix them, although it’s too late. We have to strive to prevent any reoccurrence of this disaster and to build a culture that cherishes human life. Our children didn’t blame society. They tried hard to save each others’ lives and worried about their families. Don’t we have to learn from the efforts they showed in the last minutes of their lives?” 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Student identification, letters from a schoolmate, and other belongings sit on a desk in a room belonging to Park Sung-ho on April 7, 2015. His dream was to be a priest. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A school uniform hangs on a closet in a room belonging to Park Sung-ho in Ansan on April 7, 2015. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Kim Mi-hwa, the mother of Bin Ha-yong, a high-school student who died in the ferry disaster, in her son's room in Ansan on April 7, 2015. Kim said: "As I see the children, they are all pretty and precious. All of them have a right to be loved and have dreams. Losing these kids is a tremendous loss for our country." 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Drawings are piled up in a room belonging to Bin Ha-yong on April 7, 2015. His dream was to be an illustrator. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A sculpture sits in a room belonging to Bin ha-yong in Ansan on April 7, 2015. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Kim Yu-jeong, the mother of Jeon Ha-yeong, a high-school student who died in the ferry disaster, in her daughter's room in Ansan on April 7, 2015. Kim said: "I wish our country could make us feel like it is protecting us. I want to tell Ha-yeong’s younger sister about my proud country but I can’t these days. We, as adults, have a duty to protect our children. I hope our children grow up well and lead our country in a right direction." 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Pictures sit in a room belonging to Jeon Ha-yeong on April 7, 2015. Her dream was to be an international aid worker. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Bedding is seen in a room belonging to Jeon Ha-yeong in Ansan, on April 7, 2015. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Shin Jum-ja (right) and Jung Soo-beom, the mother and younger brother of Jung Hwi-beom, a high-school student who died in the ferry disaster, stand in Hwi-beom's room in Ansan on April 7, 2015. Shin said: "Before the accident, my family talked a lot. Now we save our words, trying not to hurt each other. I am eager to see Hwi-beom just once. I wish I could hug him.” 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • Pictures hang in the bedroom of Jung Hwi-beom on April 7, 2015. His dream was to be a car designer. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
  • A corroded smartphone that belonged to Jung Hwi-beom, a high-school student who died in the Sewol ferry disaster, displayed in his bedroom in Ansan on April 7, 2015. 
    Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters

댓글 없음: